Last night, me and my Beckies (2nd unit) were pondering on the topic of Freelance work. We've come to the conclusion that our generation has come upon a very talent-centric hence more competitive career landscape. The concept of freelance work has been elusive in decades before but is the, uh, 'trend' nowadays.
Multimedia and technology is available to everyone. It's how you utilize it that makes you different than the next garden variety geek/techie. Or what makes your rate higher. The same works for fashion. Luxury brands may be for the alta de ciudad but one can achieve those looks for less if you knew how to. ( I've recently discovered that celebrity stylists borrow clothes from fashion houses. Borrow. Not one penny spent. Just dry clean and return, et voila). Make-up artists are popping up like daisies too. And of course, this is no trend but lifestyle for artists.
I've written before on the woes of such nature of work: the long hours, the absence of a schedule, blah blah blah. Reminded me of the early phase of it all--Ze Confusion. Since you practically bank on yourself and your smarts, it is only natural to feel doubt in the beginning. Am I really for this? Can I live on 3-in-1 coffee forever? When will I actually--what's that term, the consequence of your work---get paid?
Then again there's the other side of this phenomenon. Freelancers may also be those Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none youths trying out everything they want before honing in on one specialization. There are also some who manage to do everything all at the same time since one field is not enough. (If the 2nd one applies to you and you get paid right, I offer you overhead slow claps). This is the
paralyzing consequence of having too many options. You can do so much you don't know where to start.
Until now I still find myself groping for that one thing (or fine maybe a couple) I really want to do for a living. The bottom-line is--that which makes your job a non-job--you stay happy.
I think I am. For now at least.