I knew it, there had to be a catch.
I had a great night (good food, great company) and for the first time in a long while I've slept peacefully. I guess it was the calm before the storm. My mom woke me up this morning saying we were to board a plane on tuesday and come back on the 11th at midnight. This, despite my prior reminder that I have a very important meeting on the 11th.
Soft sell
We rallied: I thrashed while she went for the soft sell, asking me to talk to my superiors and tell them I won't be available--a hard feat since I'm the only staff. "Ngayon lang sabihin mo sa kanila. O kaya sa ibang araw na lang kayo. Sinabi ko naman na hindi ka pwede eh, kaso si Papa mo...Ano pwede?" I was still writhing with frustration; my parents have no concept of scheduled commitments.
Financial blockmail
"Naka-bayad na sa hotel, na-book na yung tickets. 50% na lang refund kung babawiin".
Finally it came out. Why ask me if I'm okay with it in the first place if there no choice to make anyway? I explained my side: My superiors are werewolves, they have day jobs and they can only get out at night during the lunar waxing crescent (11th). She won't budge. "Iba na lang muna pumalit sa'yo". Have I mentioned I'm the only staff?
I asked her to give me time, at least til this afternoon to beg my bosses. "Hindi pwede nasa telepono na si (insert agent's name here)". That's 15 minutes on hold for the effin' agent. So I asked for some space, she went back to her room. I texted one of my superiors, while discussing it, my mom comes back to my room " Wala na. Hindi na tayo aalis".
Emotional blockmail
"Ngayon na lang tayo aalis eh. Wag na sige...eh hindi ka pwede eh, naka-bayad, naka-reserve na lahat, tsk tsk".
Ano ba yan Ma, nasabi ko na eh!
Ayun naman pala eh.
She picks up the phone and calls the agent saying we're good to go while I foam in the mouth beside her.
Ma pinaglalaruan niyo ba ko? Kanina sabi mo wala na...
"#@!%&!! Naha-high blood ako sa'yo!"
Ending (?)
My Dad can't get cash from the bank on Monday since it's a holiday. We can't go on Tuesday. My Mom proposes, no, imposes new dates...and the cat fight continues...