Yesterday marked the opening of our play. I was so tense backstage. Hearing the buzz of people outside didn't help. I sat on a chair waiting for the company call before we went onstage; I was still but my insides were turning into jelly. I survived by reminding myself that I won't be much of a blunder since I know what's to be done, that in spite of the nerves, everything has been instilled in my memory. Just had to trust myself. And of course, focus focus focus.
We performed to an audience of 500. The theater was so packed I could have kicked someone from the audience if I stood too close to the edge of the stage. I saw teachers, nuns, and mostly adults from the audience. It was simultaneously humbling, happy, and terribly freaky. I heard they had to put up a screen outside the theater to accommodate guests with a live feed. Kalowka!
It was an amazing experience. Well, everything is right from day one, but yesterday marked my first professional show ever...and I pray it won't be my last of opening's. Given the circumstances, it wasn't perfect (had a delay due to wrong set adjustment, et al) but good, I think. I believe the premise of the play got through. We had positive feedback, ergo, laughter and sniffles all at the right moments. I hope the following shows will be better if not as well. I thank God for this opportunity, for the patience and determination he gave me to fight/wait/go crazy for my passion. As a co-actor told me "Kahit mahirap, ang sarap sumweldo at magtrabaho para sa bagay na gusto mong gawin noh?"
Tamaaaaa!