Hai...unconditional love.
It's unconditional when you give and don't expect something in return. Ergo, you do for the sake of doing rather than rewarding from it. In most cases, the collateral at stake is the self, even dignity, sanity, and self-respect. Some say it's the pre-requisite for the strong and in a way, imperfectly perfect relationship.
For me, it should work both ways. Losing your self and those mentioned earlier, completely or to great extent, won't happen if your partner loves you selflessly too. If it does work one way, I guess its okay...as long as you don't lose your love for yourself. I know it's cliche but how can you really love others if you can't love yourself? It's like a four-legged race, you can't make the other move faster if you yourself move like a snail...otherwise you both stumble.
Love yourself before loving someone else. Then love unconditionally...both of you. Anything else is stupidity. There's a big difference between blinding love and a blinding imitation of love. I know the whole game is arduous, so I applaud those who're in it and loving it...if you're not loving it, can't blame you.
Now, don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean that pain and hurt is out of the picture. Of course not. Those who hurt us are the ones who got close, close enough to touch our hearts. If he/she didn't, he won't even affect you.
Pain and sorrow go hand in hand with true love. For love is never ideal but real. So don't even wonder what heartaches are for.
"...when it hurts, it's real..." -City of AngelsBut what do I know, right?
I don't even love myself, I think.
I bet I'll be blind and stupid too.
Ask me when I get there.