We've been rehearsing for three weeks now, two more before the show opens. It's been fun so far. It's very humbling to just even stand in the room with people I've admired from afar and find them very nice. Despite their awards and acclaim, you'd get no whiff of haughtiness...
Which brings to light an incident of that very nature from a certain someone let's just call 'Diba'. Let me use the pronoun 'it' to conceal gender. [Context: Some companies have preference for their members, casting and training home-grown talents for the future benefit of the organization.] I've met Diba long ago and has encountered it occasionally; it always forgets my name for some reason. Diba has had a fair share of performances and I don't doubt its experience and talent. Anyhoo, the other day, upon knowing that I was part of the cast--
Diba: You're part of the company, no?
Me: Uhmm, no.
Diba: Oh (shock) I thought (disbelief)...well then...(confusion) then why are you here?
Me: Uhmm...
Diba: I mean...(wide-eyed)...you're here as...?
Me: ...as a guest artist.
Diba: Ahhhh (condescending) Mm-hmm really?...(attempts at a smile)
I know I'm the least experienced. I know I've got a lot to learn, but jeeeeeez. It seemed unfathomable to Diba that I got in on my own, or the fact that I was even there. I know I should give the benefit of the doubt but intentional or not, I can't deny what Diba made me feel. It was just...mean.
The world's too small to thread on someone's feet, and even if it wasn't one should never do it. The world's round too, kindness given is kindness returned; and for the sake of decency, foulness may not elicit foulness yet it may bring shame someday. So please, wag naman ganun teh.