Dan Brown's Da Vinci code is one of my favorite novels, as half of the world would say for their selves. I and Toothpick, my mutant cousin, waited for the movie for months so we decided to treat ourselves to Gateway's Cineplex 10. The biggest mistake was making reservations the Day before the premiere. The conversation with the Ticketnet Lady went like this...
TL: Good afternoon, Ticketnet Cineplex
Me: Yes, I'd like to make reservations for tomo--
TL: Sold out na po. sorry.
Then I tried GH's Theater mall & Promenade but they require people to make reservations in person. The same goes for Eastwood cinemas and others. In desperation, we decided to try our luck the next day with blind hope that two seats will remain vacant for us. There were only five seats vacant when we arrived at theater mall. We grabbed two--it was right upfront, nearest to the screen. It was a pain in the neck, literally, but we went for it.
DISCALAIMER: I'm not of authority to make a review, these are just my reactions. They are subject to change as I am writing this while suffering from radiation overload and lack of sleep, and hasn't fully analyzed what I just saw.The movieDa Vinci code comprises of two divisions, one is a documentary about the Holy Grail and the other about symbologist Robert Langdon and Sophie Neveu. The documentary part was much highlighted of the two, not to say that that's bad, highlighted not in terms of air time, but the presentation. I loved the way Dr.Lee explained the Grail scandal with his high-tech TV (?). I also liked it when they played the flashbacks while incorporated in the present. The action and the whole chase weren't so exhilarating, not like when you read it. The book is better than the movie (as it always is when it comes to screen adaptations), but still, it will keep you pinned in your seat for two hours and a half.
My favorite shot: Sophie's family's car accident--It succeeded in instilling the shock and trauma to viewers. A shock to it's very meaning. One moment it's so perfect, then BAM! A truck crushes you. No shit, no pretenses.
Line(s) that stuck:
"You are what you stand up for, you are what you protect"
"Are you going to shake faith or renew it?" ( a message I think directed more to readers/viewers rather than Sophie)
The actorsI didn't see
Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon from the very start, but I hoped the movie will change my mind. It didn't. Hanks is great, but in this one, I wasn't so impressed. When you're an innocent gone after by the French and English Police for murder, you get crazy because you don't know what the hell is going on to and around you. Yes, he reacted but he exuded something that made it seem he knows there's more to come and what's to come. Seemed like he knew what was really going on. After the hellish journey for the grail, he was just cool. Too cool.
Parang inutot niya lang. He carried that deep-thinking expression for most part of the film, even when he was about to die.
The French actress
Audrey Tatou...She was so composed standing over her dead grandfather's body I didn't see grief. Then the expected grief and pain lashes out when she faces the murderer(not for the first time). Hey, maybe it was an effect but I didn't see the flow. And I didn't know if it's the accent or what, but she sounded robotic even when emotional.
Paul Bettany did a great job as the Albino guy. I loved the way he carried his character, he was terrifying, in a quiet kinda way; Like I wouldn't want him standing next to me even if it was an ice cream truck we're lining up to. The open-wide-and-staring eyes scared me at the beginning but in the end it became funny. He was great acting out the ever-obedient 'angel' of Opus Dei, but he had a bad habit of leaping out of shadows unexpectedly throughout the film.
I think they made a mistake casting
Ian McKellan as Sir Lee. He was supposed to be the big shock in the end: The good duy turns out to be the bad guy, but as Ian is typecasted as a villain you'll get it from the start that he has a hidden agenda and is the bad guy. He was convincing as the enthusiastic scholar though.
Alfred Molina was really good, eminent and evil at the same time. Too bad he was barely seen. For someone showing up at the screen for just a while, he made his mark. Two thumbs up.
Jean Reno was good too, but I think directors should let him graduate from FBI roles...then again, he does do a good French cop. The worst thingThe guy seating right at my back was loudly explaining everything happening on screen to his companion.
This is what I hate most in movie-viewing, but I always get a-holes like this one seating next to me most of the time. Message to that guy: We read it too, more than half of the viewers did, so shut up and just watch the damn movie...Explain it to your friend when you're alone.
As a whole, I can say, as one who read the book...Hmm..ok lang.