Hello world. I'm back. This is my first official entry to this site and I want to thank eiv for jazzing it up. Well, again so much has transpired with me gone...complete with tears and another near-suicidal stage to top it off. On a lighter note, I just came back from Vietnam with no lacerations nor amputations.
My first impression:
ANG INET!!!! I left the Philippines to cool off, not to add another layer of tan to my burnt body. The temp was about 29 degrees when we landed. They only have two seasons like us: Wet and Dry...for the South. I have another
conspiracy theory, I think UST is atmospherically entwined with Southern Vietnam. Just like in USTe, weather changes unpredictably, one moment it's scaldingly hot and then a downpour comes out of nowhere.
I was freaked out when we came ot of the airport because people waiting behind barricades stared at us as we alone walked into the circle of space bordered by them. Now I know what it feels like to be a star welcomed by her fans...minus the cameras' sparks, shouts and screams of endearment. Our tour guide Shiva saved us from the mob. I don't know why their city still looks like a rural area to me. Rows of shops that sell hardware, machineries and auto supplies line the city..
Nasa Banawe ba 'ko?? The houses are narrow, approximately 4 meters wide going up to two or three floors.
The Tour...We went to Me'kong River, rode boats and walked thorugh fruit fields. Of course, with visits to museums and temples. I was amazed at how much I didn't know about the country, the world seems to pass them by. Their currency is dong, and the largest bill is half a miilon, whereas a dollar costs about 18K dong...you do the math. They are still in recovery from wars they've had with the French and americans which lasted for more than 20 years. Hundreds of people still suffer from the aftermath; many children are born deformed as a result of Agent Orange. During the Vietnam war, they survived by living in underground tunnels as communists. They were liberated only 31 (I think) years ago. 40% of Viets are Buddhist, 20% Catholic and the other 40% of different kinds. Majority believe in Caodaism. Caodaism believes in one supreme God and unifies every religion all together. In The Holy See Temple of Caodaism, there are representatives of Roman Catholics, Buddhists, Protestants, etc. They even have their own army, sosyal! They have a tradition of burning paper money or emblems for the departed (just like what Buddhists do) regardless of your religion. The country also boasts of rich flora and fauna. I saw monkeys, snakes and the walking fish which I had a very hard time looking for in the river swamps.
Oh, another thing...
If you still value life, NEVER cross their streets. Numerous Viet-clad motorcycles speed through the streets without a keme for traffic rules or hitting any being on their way. It's really scary, an average of 24 persons die a day because of vehicular accidents. My Mom and I had dinner inside our room for 3 days fearing to cross the streets to find a local restaurant. And, diseases lurk behind every corner. I'm not putting Viets down and their country, but Shiva gave us pointers for the trip to keep us illness-free. It was actually a booklet entitiled "Your passport to Safety" and it advised that we
use bottled water to wash our mouths when brushing our teeth. If the advise doesn't hold true then excuse me for exaggerating.
Here's my highlight...My surname is a weird label in this country as it was formed out of a mistake in it's registration, but there, I was famous. Hwahahahha. You can find it everywhere. I also found out that the last dynasty the country served was the "Nguyen" dynasty.
I now conclude...I am the one and only...
"The Last Lady Of The Nguyen Dynasty"
Bow before me, hwahahahaha. I always had a hunch that I'm of Royalty, hwahahahaha!
My last words regarding Vietnam....Bring Sunblock.
P.S. Pictures to follow, It's hard to upload noh